Live Show: 05/24/97
Reviewed by: Chris O'Malley
Well, sadly, I have come to the end of another triple crown. This show,
and the two which preceded it, combined to form the best variety of Moxy I'd seen yet.
We had a bar on Thursday, a sit-down theatre on Friday, and an outdoor
festival on Saturday.
Heather, Nikolai, Sharilyn and I picked up Heather's friend Karen
and left Hamilton at noonish. We got to Guelph a couple hours early; Moxy
wasn't slated to go on stage till three. The streets were blocked off,
and all of downtown Guelph was swarming with people, merch booths and games
for the kids. One thing that I thought was really cool was a huge chess board
set up on the street.
Before Moxy came on the main stage, they had these five women who dance
and do aerobics to music. They were...ummm...interesting. Elliot Schwartz
met up with us at that point, so we talked Fruvous till the guys started their
Moxy was only on stage for about an hour, and didn't have any encores. There
was a group of young children dancing in front of the stage for the entire show,
and about five gazillion bugs that were hell bent on making my life miserable.
Despite all this, Moxy did a solid set and were well received by the crowd.
Afterwards, we talked to the guys, and basically hung out for a while.
Tara (full of bourbon) was there, and also Jude, so there was plenty of chatting to be done.
We left after a bit, headed home to Heather's, dropped Nikolai off, and I said
my goodbyes to everyone before heading back home to Rochester.
Thanks to Fruvous for giving me yet another weekend of fond memories. It
was so nice to see all my friends again, and to see Fruvous in so many
different environments. The guys never let me down, and I always have
the best time at their shows.
Click the description to get the pic:
The Music(not complete)
- Peace of Mind (Brand New Disc)
- "They're back again with their mercenary ways; it's Fruvous and their
brand new disc!"
- Lazlo's Career
- B.J. Don't Cry
- During the drum intro: Murray: Welcome to the first day of spring.
- Jian's drum set was moving (since the stage was so wobbly), so he
commented: I have the world's first jiggling drum set.
- "Buddha and a brush"
- megaphone used during "Now on the street..."
- "In 1784, Mozart releases The Magic Flute"
- "it looked a little fruvous, stuffs his letters full of Fergus!"
- Jian recounts their past visit to Guelph, two years ago.
- Jian comments on the 'mosh pit' in front of the stage, consisting
of young children.
- Murray: The official color of the mosh pit is pink.
- Get in the Car
- Your New Boyfriend
- Jian: Don't use bad language unless you're speaking of your political opponents.
Remember that, children.
- Jian looks out at the crowd, saying how beautiful everyone looks.
"Look, there's CIBC, Scotiabank, ..."
- Murray: We're sponsored by Guelph Jewelers. So come to us for all
your jewelry needs. We'll make you a nice broach.
- Jian: We were hoping to be sponsored by Cash for Life lottery.
- A quick tease of the "Cash for Life" theme follows.
- Mike sings: "Friendly Guelph people holding hands..."
- Murray: It's true poise of a musician to be able to avoid
dive-bombing bugs while you're playing.
- The guys discuss Cher's visit to Guelph.
- Jian: I understand the economy in Guelph is booming.
- I Love My Boss
- "He's going out now with my sister. She goes real heavy on
the Crush." (referring to a young child drinking orange crush)
- "Who knows what the Albion will be bringing?"
- Murray thanks Guelph Jewelers for sponsoring their worldwide tour.
- Jian, making note of the name on the Jewelry store sign: Formerly 'Speedy Watch Repair'.
- Murray: Slow watch repair, they call it.
- Dave talks about what's coming down the pipe our way. "A transcript
of that intro will be available after the show."
- You Will Go to the Moon
- Murray: A song that says go ahead and trash the planet, 'cause we
have an escape pod.
- The Incredible Medicine Show
- Darlington Darling
- Jian, during the drum intro, talking to the young kids who were dancing
during the previous song: That was a great circle you guys had going there.
- Jian tells the audience that their Canadian tour has just started. He
talks a bit of politics to introduce the coming song.
- Today's the Day that We Fight Back
- Jian: When a movement starts in Toronto, you know people are getting
- Murray: Here's a song about American politics.
- Michigan Militia
- Jian: This is a little ditty about food. And what a unifying
thing food is.
- Murray: One place you can't get food is Guelph Jewelers, sponsors
of our Argentinian tour last year.
- Johnny Saucep'n
- My Baby Loves a Bunch of Authors
- Jian, during the drum intro: Thank you sunny people, and docile fruheads.
(Jian looks at the group of us sitting down and not dancing)
- "Pulp Fiction"
- "Who needs a grave? He's Robertson Davies!"
- Jian: Thank you, advocates of Winnie the Pooh.
- The guys go into a quick tease of the Winnie theme.
- Dave, looking at the young kids: We just locked in about 10 fans.
- Mike briefly parodies "Along comes the spider".
- River Valley
- Jian talks about the first time they had their upcoming special guest
- Jian scares a child during the "Is this the queen of Nigeria?" questions.
- Jian: It's not a banker, or even a representative of Guelph Jewelers.
- Mike: "the story of the king of the swan dive at the Alora gorge!"
- King of Spain
- Jian, during the intro: "Currently dating Jewel."
- "there's a sky overhead...??? of Guelph!"
- "Now the Wings call me up..."
- "Ladies and Gentlemen, I introduce to you a proper hockey team!"
- Some comments are made about some nearby people who are
dancing on top of a bus stop.
- Before the epilogue, Murray: How will you treat the children if
- Dave: They'll be served pizza for breakfast, lunch, and dinner!
- The kids in the audience loved this song. :-)
- Green Eggs & Ham
- During "Not the Beatles", Jian: You've slammed the Beatles. The children are crying.
- John Lennon is imitated by each of the band members in turn.
- Winnie the Pooh references abound during the Lennon imitations.
- During "He's gonna try 'em", Murray: Get him kids!!
- Love Potion #9 Medley
- Jian, during the drum intro, thanks the crowd.
- Ohio, Stayin' Alive, Jungle Boogie riff, Who Will Save Your Soul?,
What if Maude was one of us?, "She's outspoken, my heart's broken, ..." (Not
sure what this song is, Mike sings it in a deep, grizzly voice),
You Ougttha Know
Some other tidbits from the performance include:
- Feel free to help contribute to this section!
Back to the tour dates 1997 page