Live Show: 9/5/97
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed by: Chris O'Malley
Ahhh, Fall. This is definitely my favorite time of year. Heading to a college
on the first week of September brought back some fond memories of going to Fredonia.
I arrived in at Mike and Kelly's in Buffalo a little past five in the evening.
It was such a nice day, too. Cold, but not too cold. The fall in Western New York
has a habit of coming on quite suddenly; only a week ago it was in the high 80's.
We headed to the Queenston bridge, where we met up with Laurie by six. St. Catharines
is only a tad past the border, so we made it to the Brock campus by 6:30.
We staked out our places in line fairly early; doors were scheduled to open at eight.
Well, doors didn't open till 8:30, and we claimed a piece of real estate very close to the stage.
The venue was really cool; it was a big bar with quite an impressive layout. There
was a balcony area, too, where they let anyone who was under 18 see the show.
Unfortunately, it seemed to take forever for Moxy to come on stage. They finally did,
around 9:30. They were opening for Great Big Sea, so they only played for about an hour.
A good set nonetheless, however the room had a lot of natural reverb, so sometimes it
was hard to understand what the band was saying. Not much in-between song banter, most
likely due to the time constraint they were under.
Heather from Toronto was there; Clairice and her son, Chris, from Rome, NY, also
made the trek up for the show. After the show, we found Marcus and gabbed for a bit.
Victoria, whom we'd met at the last St. Catharines show, was there too; I ended
up talking to her for quite a while. She's been following Fruvous since before
the Bargainville days.
Mike and Jian came out after a bit, and Jian gave me some info on the upcoming
Fru-head show, and also about this impending fall tour. I got my 36th stamp at this
show, so I teased Mike about going on a date with him. :-)
Mike, Kelly, and I finally left around midnight, and after some problems getting back
to the US bridge, we finally got back to Buffalo a bit before one in the morning. I said
my goodbyes, and made it back to Rochester by two. Of course, as I'm writing this, I'm
getting ready to head right back to Buffalo so we can all go to the show in Welland.
I'm definitely in the groove for this fall tour. The weather and the atmosphere is
the perfect complement to Fruvous, at least in my mind. Keep on Fruvin!
Click the description to get the pic:
- Jian talks about how the band needs an introduction.
- The guys sing some "before band" music.
- Dave: ...the only band sponsored by Alta Mira (??) mutual funds, Moxy Fruvous!
- Peace of Mind
- Moxy changes the lyrics to fit orientation week at the college:
"It's great to be here at the celebration, the finest babes and some sterling hunks,
but we know about Brock orientation, the truth is you're all just a bunch
of fucking drunks..."
- Mike sings something, but I couldn't make it out.
- Rest: Bunch of drunks!
- Lazlo's Career
- B.J. Don't Cry
- Jian, during the drum intro: It's friday night, and we're at Brock!
We have one hour to do one thing, get your rockin'.
- Jian, before the song kicks in: Somebody, somebody, somebody scream!!
- "Buddha and a brush"
- Mike uses his megaphone for the "Now on the street..." section.
- "In 1774, Mozart releases The Magic Flute"
- "every Thursday hit the Roxy"
- "looks like he had too much Vansadrin (??)...but he'd rather rock in St. Catharines!"
- Jian asks Mike what he rhymed with 'St. Catharines'.
- Mike: Vansadrin.
- Jian: This is the last Friday night of freedom before school starts.
- Dave: Tonight is the night to go hog-wild.
- Jian: But, we don't want you to use all your energy before Great Big Sea. But,
we want you to be exhausted when they come up.
- The guys briefly jump into some song (that I don't recognize).
- River Valley
- Get in the Car
- Jian: Thank you, Brockers!
- Jian talks about first-year students, and mentions that the band played
at Trent a couple nights earlier.
- Jian: Some people have had, may have, or may have, see there's two
tenses of have, the present and the future.
- The band, led by Mike, does a little "they have" rap.
- I Love My Boss
- "Who knows what ?? will be bringing?"
- Jian teases the crowd, by pretending to start singing
and then stopping, before the final line of the song.
- Mike: This room is a good metaphor...
- Jian: It's a great structure.
- Mike: The crowdedness is a good metaphor for the planet Earth.
- Jian: What would Jim Kirk say?
- Mike does a quick Jim Kirk impression.
- Mike: We have a solution for this problem.
- Dave: When the space runs out, we're gonna colonize the moon.
- You Will Go to the Moon
- In light of the song they jast sang, Murray plugs the new album.
- Jian, during the intro, asks the crowd about any new relationships
- Jian talks about the moment that a relationship ends when the two
people involved love each other but just know that it's not right.
- Murray: This next song deals with a modern luxury that we enjoy.
We have the opportunity for a small fee to have the fat sucked
out of our legs, for example.
- Dave: Who gets the fat?
- Dave: Jack Sprat gets the fat.
- Jian comes up with the idea of saving the fat that's extracted now
for a time when it's fashionable to be heavy again.
- The Incredible Medicine Show
- Jian talks about how the coming song is written about the
United States. He also thanks a radio station, The Planet, 101.1,
that's local to the area.
- Michigan Militia
- Mike: Now we take you to the North of Toronto, to a song that takes
place through the winding revine.
- Dave: Very few courses deal with right now. This about
the present tense, that poor underrated present tense.
- The Present Tense Tureen
- Jian: Here's something about food!
- Johnny Saucep'n
- Jian: People of the Brock!
- Jian asks how different parts of the crowd are doing, and asks
who's never seen Moxy Fruvous live.
- Jian: There's a question. If you've seen us before or not, you
may be able to answer the following question. Are you ready to answer
to the question?
- Jian: Is the special guest star coming on stage the Prince
of Nigeria? Is it the Princess of Sweden? Queen of Chile?
Is it the little child who hurt her ankle but soldiered on
to win the little horsey event in the olympics last year?
No, thank God it's not her, we've all had enough of her.
No, Ladies and Gentlemen, get your fucking
selves ready, cause here's the introduction!
- Mike: Here comes the introduction about a fellow
who's been scanning the countryside, just like so many Fred
Flintstones looking for a water buffalo, he's looking for
a floozie in Port Delousie, the King of Spain!
- King of Spain
- "King, how are you such a Murray? There's a roof overhead...??? (something
- "Give all these people a chocalate eclair!"
- Dave does a quick little song before the epilogue.
- Jian teases 'Every Breath You Take' before the epilogue.
- Green Eggs & Ham
- During "Not the Beatles", Jian names a lot of supposed
- Mike: Pinball Wizard.
- Dave: Did they do Amish Paradise?
- Love Potion #9 Medley
- Jian, during the drum intro, thanks the crowd, the University,
and plugs the Niagara college show and the upcoming Buffalo shows.
- Ohio, Stayin' Alive, Jungle Boogie riff, Who Will Save Your Soul?,
Love Shack, "I'm heartbroken, she's outspoken, that's the
kind of love to keep my love life rollin'", You Oughtta Know, "Would she
go down on Meredith Brooks, that bitch?"
- "I got some news and I just can't fake it, Great Big Sea is gonna
Some other tidbits from the performance include:
- Feel free to help contribute to this section!
Back to the tour dates 1997 page