Live Show: 9/6/97
Reviewed by: Chris O'Malley
This is what I've been waiting for. A show with no opener, just Moxy.
A small, intimate setting. Perfect...
After stopping at ticketmaster to buy tix for the October Buffalo shows :-),
I left Rochester at 3:30 and got to Mike and Kelly's by 4:30. Laurie arrived
shortly thereafter and we headed to Canada by half past five or so. Welland isn't that
far from St. Catharines (where we were the night before), so we got to Niagara
College by six. The fru-bus was already there, and there was *NO* line whatsoever.
We went and grabbed a quick bite and then returned to the campus and formed
what I guess you could call a "line".
Victoria joined us, as well as Heather. Doors opened a little bit past eight
in the evening. The "After Hours Bar" was very nice, actually. It wasn't as big
as the venue at Brock, but it was laid out well, and in my opinion, the sound system
was a hell of a lot better. Sharilyn was already in the venue (I guess she got there
fairly early), so we chatted with her, got some drinks, and shot some pool.
Moxy didn't finally come on stage till quarter past ten (uggh). They played a really
nice set, a little less than two hours in length. The audience seemed a little pre-occupied,
though, and many groups of people in the crowd were talking, even during the slow, quieter
numbers. You could tell the guys were a little uncomfortable. Nonetheless, they performed
with as-always fine style.
After the show, the group of us relaxed in some back lounge area. A friend of Laurie's,
Jo, joined us, and soon Jian and Mike came back to pay us a visit. Murray and Dave had already
headed back home, and the van was loaded and gone pretty quickly as well. After talking for a little
bit, Laurie, Mike, Kelly, and I headed back home by one in the morning. We grabbed some food
in Buffalo, and I finally ended up leaving to go back to Rochester by three. Ahhh, nothing like
going to bed at four in the morning... Sleeping in is a wonderful thing.
This show was a lot of fun. Although some of the crowd didn't seem to be into it that much,
Moxy is defintely "on" and ready to go with this fall tour. Next stop, Ottawa!!
Click the description to get the pic:
- The guys come on stage to 'Come on Eileen' playing over the PA. The
song plays for quite a while, actually, and the guys play along.
- Jian: We're playing only Dexy's Midnight Runners' songs tonight,
but since people only know that one, we're just going to play different
versions of it.
- Moxy plays a slow version and a country version ('Come on Darlene') of
- Jian: We're only going to play snippets of what we're going to play.
- Mike: And the name of the show is...snippets.
- Murray does the intro for the band: Ladies and Gentlemen, Moxy Fruvous!
- Peace of Mind
- Moxy changes the lyrics to fit orientation week at the college:
"It's great to be here at the celebration, the finest babes and some sterling hunks,
but we know all about orientation, the truth is you're all just a bunch
of fucking drunks..."
- Mike: Three cheers for debauchery, you bunch of fucking drunks!
- Rest: Bunch of drunks!
- Lazlo's Career
- B.J. Don't Cry
- Jian, during the drum intro: It's Saturday night.
- Jian stops playing the drums to remove a hair from his mouth. The guys
jokingly give him a hard time.
- Jian: It's hard playing like that. I was playing for about 16 seconds and
thinking, 'Am I going to have to go through the whole song with that issue?'
- Murray: We're real people up here, ya know.
- Dave: Damn the paparazzi...
- Jian starts drumming again: We have about an hour to get you people
out of your minds.
- "hooka and a brush"
- Jian yells 'Niagara' right before Mike's spoken solo.
- Mike uses his megaphone for the "Now on the street..." section, changing
the words slightly, but it's hard to understand what he's saying.
- "every Thursday hit the roxy"
- "refracted in a prism...stuffs his letters full of ghism (??)"
- Darlington Darling
- Jian: Ladies and Gentlemen, on the accordion tonight, our special
guest star and TV's superbabe, Jenny McCarthy!
- The guys say "Sports!" right after "I sure hope that she's OK"
- Towards the end of the song, instead of doing the final "Downtown, Darlington"
section, Fruvous immediately segues into...
- Jockey Full of Bourbon
- At the end of the song, Moxy does the final section of Darlington Darling.
- Jian: School hasn't started, right? Are you excited about school starting?
Are the Leafs a good team.
- The audience responds to all the questions with a resounding "NO!"
- Jian: We'll just keep asking questions that no is the answer to. Was
Ken Dryden a shitty goal tender?
- Jian talks about how it's the final Saturday night before school starts.
- Jian: You know what happens on the final Saturday night, Murray?
- Murray: Raping and pillaging? Oh, the witching!
- Jian: No, the arrival of a superhero. The Green Lantern!
- Jian discusses his misunderstanding of the Green Lantern and wonders
if someone else wore the ring, whether or not they would have all the powers.
- Murray: There were many Green Lanterns.
- Jian: So, if you gave this guy here (pointing to an audience member) the
ring, he would become Green Lantern?
- Murray: Of course he would.
- Jian: Then what's the point? Why isn't it called green ring?
- Murray: On to another superhero...
- "My spider sense is tingling!"
- "Spiderman arrives just in time to tell everyone to turn around and say
'Hi!' to the woman behind the bar staring at us and thinking 'What the fuck
are they doing?' Spidey would just like to say hello to Gwenn, if she's out
there, from No Doubt."
- Mike says a line from "Spiderwebs".
- Jian comments on some audience members who 'still aren't sure yet'.
- Jian: They're probably thinking, 'this is a fag band'. I figure we should
sing a song directly to them.
- The guys sing a song using their names, J.R. and Eric.
- Murray: Who's the man? J.R.!
- Mike: Campus life really rocks! and I'm putting on my purple socks, and
I'm heading down to After Hours, and I'm gonna watch me some Austin Powers,
cause it's about freedom baby yeah!
- Mike: Have either of you guys had an experience with an employer?
- I Love My Boss
- "Who knows what Thorold's (??) will be bringing?"
- Jian: Thank you very much, citizens of TV nation.
- The guys make some fun of trying to get less Dave in the monitors.
- Mike: Who here has seen the Wizard of Oz? Some of that material is
really hard to perform. Who'd like to see some? (the audience cheers) Well,
just wait till the end of the show, cause, whew, big show tune.
- Murray: We're going to do the Wizard of Oz, Dark Side of the Moon thing.
And we're gonna be handing out acid.
- Jian: And we'll be doing Pink Floyd doing 'Come on Eileen'.
- Jian talks about the shirt he bought that day for five bucks.
- Stuck in the 90's
- Dave: Welcome to Welland. Welcome to Niagara College. Here's a song
about what might happen, down the road of love.
- My Baby Loves a Bunch of Authors
- River Valley
- Jian: Here's song from our new record, and it's called 'Get in the Automobile'.
- Get in the Car
- Jian: But the problem is that my ex-girlfriend's *new* boyfriend is a right-wing
- Your New Boyfriend
- Jian asks who's out of town and is going to school at Niagara. One audience
member is from Sudbury.
- Jian: Does anyone know anyone who's already hooked up with someone during
the first week of school?
- Dave: We're not talking about drug connections.
- Jian talks about relationships, shitty relationships, and relationships
that were good but seemed shitty because the ended.
- Jian continues with his standard intro for the next song. "Cast your
mind back to that bitter time when this happened to you."
- Jian: Since that song is a ballad, I'd really like to dedicate the song
to someone. But you can't dedicate a song about breaking up to anyone. I wish
the theme of the song was 'Aren't you the greatest?'
- Mike: You could give it attitude, 'The next song is about a destroyed
relationship and it goes out to Dupont, who have polluted the Great Lakes
for about 17 years, and gotten away with it. Here it is, hit it boys!
- Jian tries out a couple of other intros.
- The Incredible Medicine Show
- Jian comments on an audience member yelling "You guys rule!!"
- Jian stops the show to have the audience member say it again, complete
with the hand action that makes it sincere, according to Jian.
- Jian: That was lame. You had the whole audience looking at you. The
- Jian: Thanks guys. We do in fact rule.
- Murray: It's a small country.
- Jian: Some of you may be familiar with Belize. We take the money
we earn and we've put it into ruling Belize, we've made some clean
- Murray: We're going to attack China.
- Mike: Here's a song about a guy who thinks it's his moment, when
he's stuck in a room full of white supremists, and he loves it.
- Michigan Militia
- The guys tack on a short little instrumental ending.
- Jian asks an audience member whether she likes food or not. She says no.
- Jian: I pick the one audience member... I was gonna dedicate the song to you.
- Jian asks another person, named 'Rocket'.
- Jian: This goes out to you, and it's called 'Rocket Saucep'n'.
- Johnny Saucep'n
- Jian: If you're on the corner of Queen and Bay, and if you have
our album 'wood', then you know about a secret song, about a secret guy
who's there with his little monkey and his little box, a squeeze box,
and if you see him, and if the cops haven't kicked him off the street, then
you'll say 'Hey organ grinder!!'
- Organ Grinder
- Jian: Who can sing along with us?
- Jian sings the opening riff from King of Spain.
- The audience performs miserably.
- Jian tries again, and the audience does a little better.
- Jian: How many people are ready to see a monarch?
- Mike intros: We just call him the gabfly of Grimsby (??), the King of Spain!
- King of Spain
- "there's an umbrella overhead...leather pants!"
- "give *all* of these people chocolate eclair!"
- "now the Bills call me up..."
- "which is kinda funny, cause the Bills are a football team"
- Before the epilogue, Dave: If he's the King, does he know the words
to Guat??? (some spanish word I can't remember)
- Jian: I'm desperate to know...
- Green Eggs & Ham
- During "Not the Beatles", Jian: This is Welland, people love
the Beatles here. Paul and Linda, especially, always said 'You know,
next time we go to Canada we'll have to go to Welland'.
- Love Potion #9 Medley
- Jian, during the drum intro, thanks the crowd, the college (and comments
on how the show is free unlike the Brock show the night before), and plugs
some upcoming shows. "Somebody, somebody scream!!"
- Ohio, Stayin' Alive, Jungle Boogie riff, Who Will Save Your Soul? (along
with some yodeling), Love Shack, "I'm heartbroken, she's outspoken, that's the
kind of love to keep my love life rollin'", You Oughtta Know, "Would she
go down on Meredith Brooks, that bitch?"
- Mike sings something about Cal and Marcus during the last part of the song.
- Jian: We want to play a new song, but one that we hope you recognize.
It's so strong in melody...
- Billie Jean Medley
- Jian thanks everyone again, and explains how they normally end their
shows with a song, and with the consent of your neighbor, you should link
arms and sway and sing along.
- The Drinking Song
Some other tidbits from the performance include:
- Feel free to help contribute to this section!
Back to the tour dates 1997 page