Live Show: 9/02/96
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed by: Chris O'Malley
Moxy Früvous appeared in Toronto on Monday, September 2 at
the CNE Bandshell. They were supposed to be on at 1:00 P.M, but
with an impending air show starting at 1:30, they went on early,
at 12:30. The show was free with admission to The Ex, which was $9 for adults.
I attended this show with my friend Craig.
This was the first time I've seen the guys since Mike and Jian shaved,
and Murray cut his hair. Very clean cut! :-)
I received more autographs at this show, this time on my CD liner from Wood.
Once again, they're in the Picture Gallery.
For more info, check out the CNE website:
Click the description to get the pic:
The Music (songs in bold)
The Set (in order):
- A Capella intro tune plugging their $10 B-Album :-) ("Peace of Mind")
- BJ Don't Cry
- "found a hooka and a brush"
- "stuffs his letters full of Levins"
- Dave's guitar wire accidentally came out during this tune.
- Jian talked about how the band had to go on early, and how they
were gonna rap up at 1 (the time they were supposed to start), so that
the people who came at 1 would miss the show... :-)
- An old couple walked by and made it apparent that they thought the
music was too loud. Of course, everyone walked right in front of the stage.
- I Love My Boss
- Murray coughed at some very crucial moments! :-)
- Talked about how everyone looked really good, although they had just
come from England! "English are beautiful on the inside."
- Sang a quick rendition of "Sweet City Woman"
- Discovered that most of the audience was from the US, not Canada!
- Another quick rendition of "I Write the Songs"
- The Greatest Man in America
- This time the words rang: "to love and praise Chairman Gingrich. Jack Kemp
is quite a nice man too."
- Talk of the Republican National Convention. Bob Dole was quoted, "We must stop
the root of all crime: criminals!"
- Stuck in the 90's
- A complaint was made about the swearing that the guys had done. Not enough
- My Baby Loves a Bunch of Authors
- Murray pulled up a chair at the side of the stage and sat for most of the first
- Once again, "Pulp Fiction" instead of "short works of fiction".
- River Valley
- Talked about how the jet bombers would be overhead at 1:30.
- Quick bit of "Sky Pilot"
- Johnny Saucep'n
- Organ Grinder
- Danny Levin joined in for this and the next tune, but you couldn't hear his
violin very well in this song.
- Apparently, Danny is quite a ping-pong player!
- Nuits de Rêve
- King of Spain
- "I introduce to you, Oasis!"
- A conga line formed, and the macarena was almost done too. God No! :-)
- Green Eggs and Ham
- We were told to employ 'duck & cover' in case we didn't make it out before
the bombers started.
- Love Potion #9 medley - included:
- "What if Maude was one of us? Beatrice Arthur on a bus." (Joan Osborne tune)
- Alanis tid-bit
- Due to the time constraint, there were no encores. :(
Some other little tidbits from the performance include:
- Contributions more than welcome here!! :)
Back to the main tour dates page