Live Show: 10/31/96
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed by: Chris O'Malley
The Moxy Früvous Triple Crown
(Turn your heads sideways now!! :-)
Halloween. I decided to take Thursday and Friday off for this much
antipated set of shows. I left Rochester around 3pm, after stopping into
work to see everyone's costumes. After getting a little bit lost in
Hamilton, I managed (somehow) to make it to Mohawk College, where Moxy
would be playing.
I was there way too early. I think I pulled into the college around
5:30pm. I walked around, saw the guys do their sound check (although
through locked glass doors), and just relaxed in the lounge. I did talk
to Jian after the sound check was done, however. He mentioned that the
band was surprised that Rochester was selling so many tickets. He also
said that the Buffalo show would probably be the best of the three since
it was the last show, and the band could go nuts, not having to worry
about their voices.
I finally was officially allowed into the venue around 8:30 or so, where
I finally got to meet Sharilyn! I was greeted with a huge hug and also
met Heather, who I'd seen at other shows, but never talked to before that
Sharilyn, Heather, and I hung out before the show, talked about Moxy among
other things, got our cards stamped (this was my 6th stamp), and waited
for the opening act. Tory Chassis (kuh-seece) and his band came up around 10pm. They
were phenomenal!! I was completely blown away. It was unfortunate that they
don't have a CD out yet, 'cause Sharilyn and I agreed that we would have
bought it on the spot. The music was a mix of Rock and Jazz; very cool.
The College then had a costume contest while the stage was getting
prepped for Moxy. Among some of the costumes I remember: A male, pregnant nun;
A guy with a big c*ck; A 70's Saturday Night Fever look-alike; and a bunch
of vampires, etc... The contest was pretty hilarious actually, and the guy
with the large genitalia stole the show, in my opinion.
Mike Powers (from Champaign) joined us for the show, and the four of
us got as close as humanly possible to the stage. There were only a couple
of hundred people there (at the most), and I feel the crowd was very
well behaved. :-)
Moxy finally got up on stage around 11pm. This would be my first full
show since September 7th, so I was extremely excited to be seeing these
final 3 shows of the tour.
After the show (which ended around 12:30am),
I got my Frühead shirt, had it signed by the guys,
and hung out talking to everyone, including Laurie, who I happened to notice
standing next to me about halfway thru the show. I left Hamilton around
1:30 and headed home. Unfortunately, I received a speeding ticket in Buffalo
on the way home; the only low point of the weekend. :-(
Click the description to get the pic:
- Indecision (with "too much Murphy Brown" ending)
- Lazlo's Career
- Johnny Saucep'n
- Heatseeker Boy
- Copacabana (w/ congo accompaniment)
- Jian tells the crowd that there's no reason to be sitting
in the back of the room. (it wasn't very crowded in the venue)
- Jian: Do these lights stay on all night? (talking about bright
lights pointed at the stage)
- Dave starts playing 'Teddy Bear Picnic' on the accordion.
- Dave: Give a warm halloween welcome to Vincent Price's favorite
boy toys, Moxy Früvous.
- B.J. Don't Cry
- "on the scene, his genesis"
- "found a hooka a brush"
- "every Thursday hit the Roxy"
- Heatseeker Boy
- Video Bargainville
- Jian teases the crowd with starting the song.
- Jian holds the first "Roger".
- Jockey Full of Bourbon (Hey, Little Bird)
- Jian: This is our first time ever at Mohawk! But not our
first time in Hamilton.
- Jian: We're recording our 3rd album in November after we go
back home to Toronto (crowd cheers)
- Jian: That's a cheer for: 3rd album, Toronto, and November.
- Murray: I think they're just cheering for November.
- Jian: Hey, 45 minutes till November!! And just 4 months away from
Persian New Years.
- Mike: And we're only a few months away from Chinese New Years.
- Mike: (introduces the next song) **** (full text soon)
- Lazlo's Career
- Jian: I love Halloween, cause this is how people should always look. Wouldn't
it be cool if we could get up everyday and dress like a lunatic?
- Some comments were made on Murray's NYS Thruway shirt and Dave's leisurely outfit.
- I Love My Boss
- Jian: (during the first few lines) This song goes out to the construction
man (pointing to a guy in the audience with a hard hat on), he's a real worker.
In fact, he was out working on the 403 and just decided to stop in for the show.
- "Who knows what construction man will be bringing?"
- Mike throws his Chinese Yo-Yo's into the crowd (one to Heather, actually)
and pulled out a glow stick knife instead.
- Mike: Spiderman arrives just in time to bring someone on stage who
can only be described as the 'Bad-Ass Dude'! (Mike brings the 70's guy to
the stage who proceeds to dance)
- "Justice for construction man!"
- Mike pretends to stab an audience member repeatedly during the last
- The band starts complaining about the smoke machine on stage, which made
it literally difficult to see the band. (Mike came to the front of the stage
and blew into the cloud and sent smoke flying everywhere)
- The band starts singing "Bring back the smoke", based on a "Monster
- Dave: We're gonna release an album of that kind of music, kind
of like Kraftwerk, a retro-80's thing.
- Jian: It's gonna be called 'Bring back the smoke'.
- Mike: But we'll be called 'Megapop'.
- Dave: You think smoke, you think of the moon (bad segue). Here's a song
about what will happen when we run out of space on the Earth.
- You Will Go to the Moon
- The Kids' Song
- Mike (intro): Who gets left out of political decisions in this country?!
- "Should Quebec separate?" Audience member: Bring back the smoke!!
- "Is there something you like? Barney!"
- Dave: You need the check the apples you get in your Halloween bags.
- Jian: Cause their may not be anything exciting in the them.
- Dave: You also need to check the toffees, cause I hear that this
year they're not quite toffees. (crowd is yelling during all this)
- Jian: This is turning into the jungle... They're mad cause they
won't get a NHL team here.
- Murray: You can have the Maple Leafs.
- Ash Hash
- Jian: I just saw the construction worker just talking to people
in the hall, after we basically played the show for him.
- Mike: If you liked Schwarzenegger in 'Running Man', you'll love this
guy in 'Construction Man'.
- Jian talks about how students have to pay more with the current
Canadian government, and then proceeds to talk about the Metro Days
of Action that Moxy appeared at the previous Saturday.
- Stuck in the 90's
- Jian's intro about how a relationship comes to end and a couple's
last night together.
- My Baby Loves a Bunch of Authors
- Jian (during drumming intro): Those of you
without costumes, must take off your clothes!
- "Pulp Fiction"
- Last chord held during Murray's poses
- River Valley
- Jian: Thank you Canadian humans, and Canadian human subsidiary groups.
- Jian (talking to guy with a hat with blinking lights on it): That looks
like Christopher Pike in the first episode Star Trek, when he talked
- Murray: Actually, it looks like Data's head when they take the flap off.
- Jian: Next week, since we're off the road, we're having the 'Früvous
Star Trek talks'. It's in Murray's basement and their will also be a wading
pool of Jello there.
- Murray: My mom will be there.
- Johnny Saucep'n
- Organ Grinder
- King of Spain
- Jian's standard intro for this one: Perhaps you can answer the following
- "What's the question?" Audience member: 42!
- Jian: What's 37 plus 5?
- "There's a hat on your head...." **** (text soon)
- **** Dave: They want me to teach here at Mohawk!
- During the part right before the King tells the story, a quick
version of 'Little Drummer Boy' is sung.
- Murray: King, why are in your pajamas?
- Green Eggs & Ham
- Jian: Hey! Not the beatles! This is Mohawk, there's rumors that
McCartney once studied here. ****
- Love Potion #9 Medley - included:
- Jian (before the song): We're in Rochester, and then Buffalo, say
you're from Hamilton, and you'll get roses, well proverbial roses anyway.
- Stayin' Alive
- Jungle Boogie riff on Dave's guitar
- "Do you eat, do you sleep, do you dream anymore?"
- One of Us
- Salvation, for a pint of Guiness it's free!
- Mike, in final verse, makes a comment about construction man. ****
- Dancin' Queen/Walk on the Wild Side
- Jian introduces Lou, the poet of NY, former member of the
- Lou says he had some trouble keeping his meal down due
to rolling his window down too soon in 'this steel town'.
- The Drinking Song
- Number one of three arm in arm sing-alongs I would have over the next
couple of nights. :-)
Some other tidbits from the performance include:
- Feel free to help contribute to this section!
Back to the main tour dates page